By royal decree of January 12, 1766 the construction of the room of spectacle in the garden of Saint-Pierre hotel was acquired. The king taking responsibility for his the foundations and the walls. The plans were drawn up by Choquet de Lindu.
The frontage survived the destruction of the city in August 1944, but not the peaks of the demolition contracters.
Square traced by Vauban, was useful into 1704 of parade ground. The kiosk was high in 1890. The music of the fleet gave concerts regularly to it.
The place was the privileged place of the rejoicings: popular processions, concerts, festivals